Nintendo has been switching things up a bit lately! They have now announced a partnership with HackerOne to offer incentives for developers to find bugs and report them to be patched.
As stated in the official posting
Nintendo’s goal is to provide a secure environment for our customers so that they can enjoy our games and services. In order to achieve this goal, Nintendo is interested in receiving vulnerability information that researchers may discover regarding Nintendo’s platforms. Currently, in the context of the HackerOne program, Nintendo is only interested in vulnerability information regarding the Nintendo 3DS™ family of systems and is not seeking vulnerability information regarding other Nintendo platforms, network service, or server-related information.
Some of the vulnerabilites and exploits which they are targetting include the following
- System vulnerabilities regarding the Nintendo 3DS™ family of systems
- Privilege escalation on ARM11 userland
- ARM11 kernel takeover
- ARM9 userland takeover
- ARM9 kernel takeover
- Vulnerabilities regarding Nintendo-published applications for the Nintendo 3DS™ family of systems
- ARM11 userland takeover
- Hardware vulnerabilities regarding the Nintendo 3DS™ family of systems
- Low-cost cloning
- Security key detection via information leaks
By patching these holes they aim to prevent these types of activities
- Piracy, including:
- Game application dumping
- Copied game application execution
- Cheating, including:
- Game application modification
- Save data modification
- Dissemination of inappropriate content to children
Nintendo’s Rewards include up to a $20,000 USD bounty for the discovery of critical bugs.
Certain conditions apply to this program. To learn about the full details, and to report Nintendo 3DS security vulnerabilities, please visit http://hackerone.com/nintendo.
- Halo Revamped 3DS Update – Perf... — TCPixel has pushed out a new update for Halo Revamped a homebrew application for the Nintendo 3DS! The new update brings Stability updates New maps Up to 8 players! For more info follow the video above and read the description on TCPixel’s [...]
- PSVita 3.63 owners get ready for home... — PSvita owners that have updated to the latest 3.63 firmware have been waiting for something useful to come out to make their doorstop of a console come back to life.Today we bring you hidden applications! A tool released by Idumpvitastuff. This tool leverages psvimgtools which is another tool that was released by Yifan Lu and allows you to [...]
- Nintendo Goes On a Copyright Strike F... — It seems that Nintendo has employed or is in the works with the Belgian Anti-Piracy Federation which has gone on a copyright frenzy on youtube. Various content creators have received one or multiple copyright strikes on youtube and have had their videos completely removed; some users have also been completely shut down! Users affected include ModzLink [...]
- Nintendo Switch UI video leaks — User hiphoptherobot seems to have gotten his hands on an unreleased Nintendo Switch console and has given the world a sneak peek of what Nintendo has been cooking up for it’s customers for the past few years. Enjoy the images and video [...]
- Smealum Updates Homebrew Payload for ... — Firmware 11.3 was released recently by Nintendo. Along with the release the homebrew launcher was temporarily broken as the current payloads were no longer working. Smealum has been hard at work patching up the payloads to allow execution on 11.3 firmware. This proves that smealum is a talented hacker and if a challenge is posed [...]