Developer bigboss (a.k.a. psxdev) shared a lengthy article on his blog today about early work on reversing the Playstation VR.
The goal of the hacking community with Playstation VR is not a secret: get the Sony device to work on other devices than the PS4. One obvious benefit is that the Playstation VR is one of the cheapest options for VR today. Making it compatible with PC would give a nice entry point to VR for PC owners who don’t want to go with the more expensive options such as HTC Vive or the Oculus Rift.
Bigboss shares early details on how he is reversing the USB protocol used by the playstation VR and accompanying processor unit. He is getting helped by some of the Open Source code that Sony made available as part of project morpheus (the original codename for Playstation VR)
In particular, Bigboss shares the following links to useful information and code, from Sony themselves or other devs of the scene who have started looking into PSVR:
- tokkyo_tw who shared usb dump captures from PlayStation VR and published the first code to begin work at https://github.com/tokkyo/PSVRTest
- nathan_the_red who shared a repository with interesting stuff about PlayStation VR at https://github.com/adawarp/libpsvr
- Sony shared some open source code for PlayStation VR at http://doc.dl.playstation.net/doc/psvr-oss/
In this first session, Bigboss only goes through a few initialization steps of the USB communication, but it is an interesting read nonetheless, you can check it out here.
- Qwertyoruiop claims PS4 is pwned on f... — Qwertyoruiop is in the news again now claiming to have crack [...]
- Hackers make progress on cracking the... — Since the Xbox One hack: Xbox One Exploit Proof... — Developer unknownv2 has released a proof of concept exploit [...]
- PS4 Webkit hack: SpecterDev explains ... — A few days ago, hacker qwertyoruiop released a Webkit exploi [...]
- PSvita Adrenaline-2 and Easy installe... — Adrenaline version 2 is finally out after being promised by [...]