Developer bigboss (a.k.a. psxdev) shared a lengthy article on his blog today about early work on reversing the Playstation VR.
The goal of the hacking community with Playstation VR is not a secret: get the Sony device to work on other devices than the PS4. One obvious benefit is that the Playstation VR is one of the cheapest options for VR today. Making it compatible with PC would give a nice entry point to VR for PC owners who don’t want to go with the more expensive options such as HTC Vive or the Oculus Rift.
Bigboss shares early details on how he is reversing the USB protocol used by the playstation VR and accompanying processor unit. He is getting helped by some of the Open Source code that Sony made available as part of project morpheus (the original codename for Playstation VR)
In particular, Bigboss shares the following links to useful information and code, from Sony themselves or other devs of the scene who have started looking into PSVR:
- tokkyo_tw who shared usb dump captures from PlayStation VR and published the first code to begin work at https://github.com/tokkyo/PSVRTest
- nathan_the_red who shared a repository with interesting stuff about PlayStation VR at https://github.com/adawarp/libpsvr
- Sony shared some open source code for PlayStation VR at http://doc.dl.playstation.net/doc/psvr-oss/
In this first session, Bigboss only goes through a few initialization steps of the USB communication, but it is an interesting read nonetheless, you can check it out here.
- Qwertyoruiop claims PS4 is pwned on f... — Qwertyoruiop is in the news again now claiming to have cracked the PS4 on firmware 4.50 – 4.55 4.50, should work on 4.55 too pic.twitter.com/zWvshihocp — qwertyoruiop (@qwertyoruiopz) April 19, 2017 This comes days after qwertyoruiop publicly released a webkit exploit for firmwares below 4.07 . qwertyoruiop has confirmed that the both the webkit and 4.50 [...]
- Hackers make progress on cracking the... — Since the webkit vulnerability and Pegaswitch were released on the Nintendo Switch a few day after the console’s launch, several hackers have been digging into the internals of the console to learn about its system. Hacker Plutoo of 3DS/Wii U Fame confirmed yesterday that he has been able to grab what appears to be data/API [...]
- Xbox One hack: Xbox One Exploit Proof... — Developer unknownv2 has released a proof of concept exploit for the Xbox One. The exploit leverages a series of known vulnerabilities in the Microsoft Edge Browser (CVE-2016-7200 and CVE-2016-7241). This is an exploit of the ridiculously rebranded Interenet explorer browser dubbed Microsoft Edge. In November last year, several critical vulnerabilities were found in the Edge [...]
- PS4 Webkit hack: SpecterDev explains ... — A few days ago, hacker qwertyoruiop released a Webkit exploit for the PS4, compatible up to firmware 4.07 included. He has since then improved the exploit to include a ROP Chain and basic syscalls, but providing only compatibility for 4.06, the firmware on which he is personally working. SpecterDev, self described as a programmer interested [...]
- PSvita Adrenaline-2 and Easy installe... — Adrenaline version 2 is finally out after being promised by TheFlow in February. Of course, that doesn’t mean that TheFlow wasn’t busy with the Vita as he added USB mass storage device support for easy file transfer and the ability to use a pen drive or external S/HDD via VitaShell. Changelog Allowing you to [...]